Portrait of John K Grubb

Texas Divorce and Prenuptial Agreement

5005 Riverway Drive, Suite 450 • Houston, Texas 77056

Phone: 713-877-8800 • Fax: 713-877-1229

Former Boxing Champ Holyfield Has Child Support Troubles

Former heavyweight champion boxer Evander Holyfield has accomplished (and been through) a lot in his days – he is an Olympic bronze medal winner and a five-time World Heavyweight champion, and he even survived a 1997 fight with Mike Tyson in which Tyson infamously bit off a portion of Holyfield’s ear. Holyfield may now be going through the most difficult period of his life, as he faces severe financial problems relating to home foreclosure and child support payments.

Holyfield’s troubles were recently the subject of a post from the family law attorneys of Schneider & Stone, a Chicago area family law firm. Holyfield’s impressive $10 million Atlanta estate went up on the auction block as the boxer has fallen behind on his mortgage and child support payments. The sale of his home should have helped with his financial troubles, as it has 109 rooms, 17 bathrooms, three kitchens and a bowling alley, but Holyfield has still had trouble making his child support payments.

Holyfield is currently married to his third wife with whom he has two children. The mother of one of Holyfield’s other children filed a lawsuit against Holyfield in order to get him to keep up with his child support payments of $3,000 a month. Holyfield reportedly has nine children altogether, though some sources put the number at eleven. He has asked courts in the past to modify his child support payments since his income has decreased since retiring from the ring.

Holyfield cannot use poor financial management as an argument to lower his child support payments. Nor can he use the fact that he has to pay so much child support to lower his payments. He has made over $100 million in his career (including $34 million for his second fight with Mike Tyson). The children for whom he is responsible deserve the financial support he owes them.

Have you had trouble receiving child support payments? Do you have any advice for other custodial parents facing the same situation?

John K. Grubb & Associates, P.C. – Houston divorce attorneys

No Comment

Comments are closed.